Sometimes it helps to look at examples of strategy and implementation documents developed by other organisations. You can use the resources below a basis for developing your own local resources.
- National Apprenticeship Service Achieving the benefits of apprenticeships
- Health Education England Apprenticeships in Primary Care
- Examples of Apprenticeship Development Plans Community Education Providers Networks – TST
Public sector bodies with 250 or more staff in England have a target to employ an average of at least 2.3% of their staff as new apprenticeships over the period of 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2021. In order for apprenticeship programmes to be really successful it is important that there is buy-in across your organisation. Achieving the public sector target means that you will need to communicate with a range of staff internally from front line managers to CEOs. Apprenticeships will need to be embedded into workforce planning so that, over time, apprentices become a key and sustainable part of the workforce. Things to consider when engaging with your organisation over apprenticeships:
- What is your local target?
- Is there a policy or business case in place to define the organisation’s approach to apprenticeships?
- Have you carried out an options appraisal of the types of apprenticeship available, how much they cost and where they fit?
- Do you have an apprenticeship delivery plan?
- Have you carried out a training needs analysis?
- Where will apprentices be recruited from – internal or external applicants?
- What does an increased number of apprentices mean for individual work areas?
- What kind of mentoring, support and pastoral care do you need to put in place?
- What kind of reporting (both qualitative and quantative) do you need to put in place?
The National Skills Academy for Health and Health Education England have developed a new set of principles to ensure excellent practice in Apprenticeship provision across UK health care organisations.
- The National Skills Academy and Health Education England Quality Principles for NHS Apprenticeships
Handy guides on apprenticeships can be found below.
- NHS Employers Changes to apprenticeships, what employers need to know
- Royal College of Midwives Apprenticeship Guide