There are over 50,000 healthcare scientists working in the NHS and public health services. Together they provide the scientific backbone of the NHS and their work underpins 80% of all diagnoses. Their role stretches across the whole innovation pathway from academic and translational research, to patient-centred service transformation.
Not all scientists are based in laboratories, and spend their time looking down microscopes. There are scientists roles where they use a variety of highly specialised equipment to analyse body tissue, blood and other bodily fluids. There are also many healthcare scientists, such as those in the physiological sciences and some in physical sciences and biomechanical engineering who will have a lot of direct patient contact and work in clinics or on wards.
Healthcare science staff play a vital role in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a huge number of medical conditions. They also help people live independent lives through rehabilitation.
The Healthcare Science Apprenticeship Standards printable gives an overview of the apprenticeships available in this area.
The following apprenticeship standards are approved for delivery:
- Level 2 Healthcare Science Assistant
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician
- Level 4 Healthcare Science Associate
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health)
- Level 5 Technician Scientist
- Level 6 Enhanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 6 Healthcare Science Practitioner (degree)
- Level 6 Laboratory Scientist (degree)
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner (degree)
- Level 7 Clinical Scientist (HCPC 2014)
Follow the links to see more about each apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another here.
- Apprenticeship case studies from the National School of Healthcare Science
- Case Study: Kelly-Anne Harrison – Level 7 Research Scientist
- Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools
- Enhanced Clinical Practitioner – Employer Guidance
- Health Careers – Healthcare Science
- Healthcare Science – Employer Guidance
- Healthcare Science – Training Provider Guide
- Healthcare Science apprenticeship information pack
- IfATE Occupational Maps – Useful for exploring apprenticeships by occupational route
- NHS England – What is Healthcare Science