People working in public health may be employed in a range of different organisations. It is not uncommon for people to move across sectors as their careers develop and, increasingly, people may choose to be self-employed for some or part of their time.
The three main employing sectors in public health are:
- Public sector (local government, the civil service, the NHS and higher education)
- Private sector (private and independent companies, organisations and consultancy firms)
- Third sector (charities or social enterprises).
Some people identify public health as being the main part of their role, and these may be considered the ‘core public health workforce.
The Public Health Apprenticeship Standards printable shows a brief overview of the apprenticeship standards in this area.
The following apprenticeship standards are available:
- Level 3 Community Health and Wellbeing Worker
- Level 3 Safety, Health & Environmental Technician
- Level 4 Regulatory Compliance Officer
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health)
- Level 6 Enhanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 6 Environmental Health Practitioner (Degree)
- Level 6 Public Health Practitioner (Degree)
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 7 Health & Care Intelligence Specialist
- Level 7 Medical Statistician
- Level 7 Specialist Community Public Health Nurse (NMC 2022)
Follow the links to see more about each apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another.
- IfATE Occupational Maps – Useful for exploring apprenticeships by occupational route
- UKPHR (UK Public Health Register) – Apprenticeship Guidance for UKPHR Practitioner Registration for those undertaking the Level 6 Public Health Practitioner apprenticeship.
- Public Health apprenticeship information pack
- Meet the Chairs – Environmental Health Practitioner Trailblazer Group
- Population and Public Health Apprenticeship Showcase – webinar recording
- Case Study – Mary Ross (L6 Public Health Practitioner)
- Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools.