Health Education England continue to engage with Employers and Colleges across the country, providing support to structure the Higher Development Award (HDA) for your area. The HDA is a personal development programme for Support Workers that enables Clinical and Non-Clinical Support Workers from all sectors to “Be the best and acknowledge potential”.
The Award has provided a progression pathway for many, to access multi professional higher and degree apprenticeships as well as traditional pre-registration routes. It also provides development for those wishing to stay in the Support Worker role.
Resources and further information can be found through these links:
- NHS Futures – Higher Development Award
- HASO Higher Development Award Case Studies – our latest case study is Clare Fowler.
- Higher Development Award – Pilot Feedback
- Health Education England – Higher Development Award
- Health Education England – Healthcare support worker learning and development roadmap
- NHS Employers – Higher Development Award: A personal development programme for support workers
- Higher Development Award (southbankcolleges.ac.uk)
The HDA aims to build on the expansive knowledge support staff already hold, give further tools to increase awareness and improve patient/service user outcomes.
- Flexibility – staff remain in their role whilst studying, 6-9 study days (dependent on level), with additional learning in their own time to achieve Functional Skills.
- Partnership to deliver programme with local FE (Further Education) or Adult Community College who draw down funding for the programmes and provide accreditation with awarding body.
- Can be delivered via a blended Virtual and Face to Face model to support staff across Health, Social, Community, Mental Health and Primary Care regardless of setting.
- Retention – helps to motivate and engage support staff, helping to retain staff in their current role as well as those who wish to progress.
If your organisation would like to discuss this development programme further please contact email@example.com