Midwives often describe their job as ‘privileged’. The role they have in preparing women for the delivery of new life makes them a vital presence during all stages of pregnancy, labour and the early postnatal period.
Midwifes deal with pregnant women which require support and advice from a professional. They are likely the lead health professional contact for the woman, providing evidence-based information and helping make informed decisions and choices for the options and services throughout the pregnancy. Midwifes also help teach new and expectant mothers from variety of cultural, economic, social and religious backgrounds to feed and care for their newborns. The role requires full confidence and exceptional communication skills.
The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) is the regulator for this occupation.
The Maternity Apprenticeship Standards printable gives an overview of the apprenticeships available in this area.
The following apprenticeship standards are available in these areas:
- Level 2 Healthcare Support Worker
- Level 3 Senior Healthcare Support Worker
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health)
- Level 6 Midwife (degree) – NMC 2019
- Level 6 Enhanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner
Follow the links to see more about each apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another.
- Level 2 Healthcare Support Worker – Information pack
- Level 3 Senior Healthcare Support Worker – Information pack
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health) – Information pack
- Level 6 Midwife (Degree) NMC 2019 – Information pack
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner – Information pack
- Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools
- Enhanced Clinical Practitioner – Employer Guidance
- IfATE Occupational Maps – Useful for exploring apprenticeships by occupational route
- Maternity Support Worker Apprenticeships – Employer Guidance
- Royal College of Midwives – Apprenticeships