There is a variety of roles in the Dental sector. Providing dental care is a team responsibility, and each member of the dental team has a vital role to play in the promotion and maintenance of dental health.
The majority of Dental Professionals are usually found outside hospitals, working in local communities and high street practices providing care to the general public. With an excellent knowledge of human anatomy and oral disease, they use the best clinical skills to help their patients.
The dental team includes dentists, dental nurses, dental therapists, dental hygienists and dental technicians. There are opportunities to progress into more specialist roles such as an orthodontic therapist.
The focus of dental care is prevention; educating and supporting the public to help them look after their mouths and teeth. When dental disease does occur, however, dental team members can use a variety of sophisticated techniques to treat the patient’s problems.
Members of the dental team can pursue their careers in a variety of areas: the high street dental practice, the salaried primary dental care service, dental hospitals, universities and the armed forces.
The General Dental Council (GDC) is the UK-wide statutory regulator of around 114,000 members of the dental team.
The Apprenticeship Standards printable gives an overview of the apprenticeships available in this area – click here.
The following apprenticeship standards are approved for delivery in this area.
- Level 3 Dental Nurse
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician
- Level 4 Dental Practice Manager
- Level 4 Oral Health Practitioner
- Level 4 Orthodontic Therapist
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health)
- Level 5 Clinical Dental Technician
- Level 5 Dental Technician
- Level 6 Enhanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner
Follow the links to see more about each apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another here.
- Dental Nurse apprenticeship – Resource Pack
- Guidance for wider primary and community healthcare teams – Apprenticeships in Dental, Pharmacy and Optometry
- Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools – click here