Leaders are found in every part of the health sector, working at all levels and in all disciplines. Managers in the health sector work in a wide variety of disciplines including clinical care, human resources, finance, project management, hotel services and communications and corporate affairs.
There are various routes into management. An apprentice could work their way up from a more junior role; apply for a place on the Graduate Management Training Scheme or gain relevant experience in another sector before applying for a position in the NHS. Many areas of management are not unique to healthcare, and as such experience from different sectors is transferable and valuable.
The Leadership and Management Apprenticeship Standards printable shows a brief overview of the apprenticeship standards in this area.
The following apprenticeship standards are approved for delivery in the area:
- Level 3 Team Leader/Supervisor
- Level 4 Junior Management Consultant
- Level 5 Operations/Departmental Manager
- Level 6 Chartered Manager
- Level 7 Senior Leader
- Level 7 Senior People Professional
Follow the links to see more about each apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another.
You can also access Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools.
IfATE Occupational Maps – Also a useful tool, let you explore apprenticeships by occupational route.
Case Studies / Resources:
- Laura Jones – Level 3 Team Leader/Supervisor apprentice
- Claire Bellazza – Level 6 Chartered Manager apprentice
- Oliver Inwards – Level 6 Chartered Manager apprentice
- Collaborative Regional Approach for Senior People Professional Level 7 apprenticeship standard
- Meet the Mentor case study series
- Leadership and Management apprenticeship information pack