In these challenging times, the HEE Talent for Care Team is pleased to be able to share some positive news with you. They are funding access to the bksb software that supports Functional Skills learning, for 1 year.
This will help to support maths, English and ICT skills development at a time when many employees may be struggling with all kinds of challenges – from calculating pay and budgets, understanding large volumes of text and information and spending more time on screen than usual. You can undertake the learning from home via a laptop, PC, tablet or mobile phone.
The Initial Assessment and Diagnostic Assessment can be used to:
- support 1-1 and work-based learning for employees/apprentices
- produce an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and SMART target to fill skill gaps
- inform enrolment to the appropriate English, maths and Functional Skills level
- perform basic self-assessment for dyslexia and dyscalculia
- evidence Information and Guidance (IAG)
Independent learning is encouraged, mirroring the independence of an apprenticeship, thus allowing individuals to work at their own pace through the Learning Resources, Progress Checks and Exam Practice to upskill and check knowledge.
Who is this for?
All NHS trusts, community, primary and social care employers.
How do I use it?
This tool can be used in several ways.
- It can help prepare employees who would like to take a functional skills qualification e.g. for an apprenticeship. This platform will not provide the examination or qualification itself, but the examination can be taken at a local college or FE provider.
- It can also help with generalised upskilling and gaining confidence around learning.
- Individuals can study on their own and at their own pace, which for some is a great advantage and is more private than other forms of learning.
- It can also be used by employers to do a skills analysis of a group to inform workforce planning.
How do I access it?
In order to gain access to this tool HEE asks that you satisfy the below criteria:
- Identify the member of staff who will be the point of contact for bksb
This person will receive training to be the bksb expert/super user for the organisation. The training is quick and straightforward, as is the subsequent process of setting up learners for the organisation.
- Identify the learners who will use this product.
HEE doesn’t need to know names, but asks that you give bksb an initial number of learners. (If initial places are used up you may be able to add to this later, depending on national take up). Please only ask for the number you plan to use, as the number of users is limited, and HEE wants as many people as possible to be able to access.
- Ask your nominated staff member to email: firstname.lastname@example.org to start the process and enrol learners