Digital Skills are ‘the digital skills adults need to safely benefit from, participate in and contribute to the digital world.’ (UK Government)
Health Education England sees person-centred digital literacy as:
- Digital identity, well-being, safety and security
- Communication, collaboration and participation
- Teaching, learning and self-development
- Information, data and content
- Creation, innovation and research
- Technical proficiency
To find out more about this, please watch this short video.
Learn My Way
Learn My Way has free courses to learn digital skills to stay safe and connected. This includes:
- Using your computer or device
- Online basics – Using the internet, online forms & email
- Office programmes – Introduction to office programmes, creating documents & spreadsheets
- More internet skills – Video calling, online shopping & socialising online
- Online safety – Being safe online & keeping your personal data safe
- Finding a job online – National Careers Service website: a how to guide for jobs and interviews
- Improving your health online – GP services online & The NHS website: a how-to guide
- Managing your money online – Online and mobile banking & Make money work
Bksb – Free access for Employers
Health Education England has commissioned bksb to give free access to bksb all NHS trusts, community, primary and adult social care employers. Basic Key Skills Builder (bksb for short) is a market-leading, functional software package.
Bksb can be used to improve Digital Literacy. To get started, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- The main contact for the trust
- Number of learners estimated
Once bksb has completed the required checks, they will get you up and running with bksb.
Microsoft Digital Literacy
Microsoft Digital Literacy is for anyone with basic reading skills who wants to learn the fundamentals of using digital technologies. There are 6 Learning Paths.
- Work with Computers – 1 hr 9 min, 4 Modules
- Access Information Online 48 min, 3 Modules
- Communicate Online – 33 min, 2 Modules
- Participate Safely and Responsibly Online – 26 min, 2 Modules.
- Create Digital Content – 1 hr 9 min, 6 Modules
- Collaborate and Manage Content Digitally – 1 hr 5 min, 4 Modules
Also, there are many resources on Microsoft’s Digital skills platform.