Dietetics is the science of how nutrition affects our health. Scientific studies have shown how a change to our diet can help prevent or control a variety of health problems, including obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Dietitians translate scientific and medical research related to food and health into practical guidance for the general public. They also teach health professionals about diet and nutrition.
Dietitians are predominantly employed by the NHS, working in hospitals and in the community. Dietitians are also employed in the food industry and there may be opportunity for employment in higher education, sport, media, and national and local government. Some dietitians will be freelance and self-employed. They could also supervise work of dietetic assistants.
Unlike nutritionists and nutritional therapists, dietitians are the only nutrition professionals to be regulated by law and are governed by an ethical code to ensure that they always work to the highest standard. Only those registered with and who abide by the standards set by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) can use the title of Dietitian.
The following apprenticeship standard in this occupation is approved for delivery:
- Level 2 Healthcare Support Worker
- Level 3 Senior Healthcare Support Worker
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health)
- Level 6 Dietitian (degree) (HCPC 2013)
- Level 6 Enhanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner (Degree)
Follow the link to see more about this apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another.
- IfATE Occupational Maps – Useful for exploring apprenticeships by occupational route
- Meet the Chairs – Dietitian Trailblazer group
- Level 6 Dietitian (Integrated Degree) apprenticeship – Information pack
- Level 5 Assistant Practitioner (Health) – Information pack
- Health Careers – Dietitian
- British Dietetic Association (BDA) – Apprenticeship section
- Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools
- Enhanced Clinical Practitioner – Employer Guidance