Ambulance trusts and services may also undertake non-urgent patient transport services on a commercial arrangement with their local hospital trusts or health boards, or in some cases on directly funded government contracts, although these contracts are increasingly fulfilled by private and voluntary providers.
There is a whole team dedicated to delivering emergency help. These are call handlers, dispatchers, care assistants, medical technicians and paramedics.
The Ambulance Services Apprenticeship Standards printable gives an overview of the apprenticeships available in this area.
Apprenticeship occupations in this family include:
- Level 3 Ambulance Support Worker (Emergency, Urgent and Non-urgent)
- Level 3 Emergency Services Contact Handler
- Level 4 Associate Ambulance Practitioner
- Level 6 Enhanced Clinical Practitioner
- Level 6 Paramedic (degree) (HCPC 2014)
- Level 7 Advanced Clinical Practitioner (degree)
Follow the links to see more about each apprenticeship including the stage of development, funding band and duration. You can also download the standard and end point assessment documents as well as checking the training providers and end point assessment organisations that may be available.
You can access our Pathways Tool here.
This tool allows you to see more about how apprentices may progress from one occupation to another.
- IfATE Occupational Maps – Useful for exploring apprenticeships by occupational route
- Ambulance Support Worker (Emergency, Urgent and Non-urgent) – Information pack
- Employer case study – North-West Ambulance NHS Trust
- Case Study: Gareth Ward – ACP paramedic apprentice
- Case Study: Leo Nakhimoff – ACP paramedic apprentice
- Case Study: Stuart Graham – Ambulance Support Worker Apprentice
- Apprenticeship Costing Calculator / Planning Tools
- Enhanced Clinical Practitioner Employer Guidance
- Paramedic (Degree) Apprenticeship – Information pack
Ambulance Services in England:
- East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- West Midlands Ambulance Service University NHS Foundation Trust
- Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust